Most smokers who take up vaping to quit smoking find out sooner or later that some vape kits are better at helping you give up than others.
Hers’s how to find the best vape kit or device to help you quit smoking in 2021, whether you’re a heavy or light smoker.
What is the best vape to quit smoking with right now?
In 2023, a simple MTL device, like a pod or vape pen is the best option for people trying to quit smoking. This is because MTLs are smaller and easier to operate, provide a tighter draw and generate vapour which tastes and feels more like cigarette smoke.
There’s definitely a lot more choice of nowadays for quitters looking for an e cig that tastes and feels more like a cigarette:
For example, newer pod vapes, like Innokin’s EQ FLTR now include disposable soft-tips for a more realistic mouth feel. These are a great choice for those who miss the feel of a cigarette tip between the lips after they quit smoking.
Meanwhile, other e cigs like the new Smok Stick G15 focus on achieving a strong and realistic throat hit. This model and others like it are recommended for smokers who want to recreate the feel and satisfaction of tobacco smoke.
Finally, for heavier smokers (20 a day or more) wanting to quit, there’s JAC Vapour’s S22 Mesh Kit. This durable UK-designed model comes with a bigger battery which gives smokers more power for longer, heavier vaping sessions.
Top 9 Best Vape Kits to Quit Smoking with in 2023
Here’s my full list of the most suitable vape kits and devices for smokers to quit smoking with in 2021 with UK prices.
I’ve tested all of these devices myself and have rated them according to their suitability for different smoker types (light or heavy). Light smokers = up to 10 cigarettes per day / heavy smokers = more than 20 cigarettes per day.
|Image||Vape Kit or Model||UK Price||Recommended for:|
|1. Innokin EQ FLTR||£11.99||light and heavy smokers|
|2. Smok Stick G15||£16.99||light and heavy smokers|
|3. Uwell Caliburn G||£21.49||light smokers|
|4. Jac Vapour S22||£37.99||heavy smokers|
|5. Uppen Vape Pen||£23.99||light smokers|
|6. Innokin Kroma-R Zlide||£49.99||heavy smokers|
|7. Innokin Coolfire X50||£37.99||light and heavy smokers|
|8. EPuffer Xpod||£24.99||light smokers|
|9. Vaporesso Osmall||£9.99||light smokers|
Best all-round vapes to help you quit smoking
All vape kits shown here are ideal for most smoker types. This means battery life and vapour strength are suitable for occasional as well as regular smokers.
Innokin EQ FLTR Pod Kit (most like a real cigarette)
- Affordable all-round e cig with advanced flavour output and soft, realistic-feeling cigarette tips
The Innokin EQ FLTR is one of the latest “new cigalike” pod vapes designed solely with the aim of helping new vapers quit smoking.
Every aspect of this tiny e cig device tells you it’s the perfect cigarette replacement, from the lightweight case right down to its soft filter tips.
Reproduces tobacco flavours well and runs well with nic salts, too. Best value stop smoking kit all round and easily my top e cig choice for beginners in 2022.
Why this kit is ideal for quitting smoking
- Feels and vapes very much like a real cigarette in the mouth, thanks to its soft tips and realistic suction resistance
- Produces really great flavours and especially with tobacco and menthol e liquids, which are the obvious choice for smokers trying to forget about the horrible taste of cigarette smoke
- Vapour is very soft on the tongue and throat with even strong vape juices
- Gives a nice tight draw when you suck and this really does remind you of smoking a real cigarette. Draw tightness can be made even tighter with the help of a small gadget included in the kit which fits into the end of the tip
- Rechargeable and refillable (with your own e liquid) and coils can be replaced when they get too old so you don’t need to keep buying new pods
- Very easy to set up and use, even for absolute vaping beginners
- Suction-activated vapour release (like a real cigarette), so no need to push a button to get vapour out
- Small enough to forget it’s there, but still powerful enough to smash those smoking cravings
- Contacts need to be kept dry or responsiveness can be inconsistent
- Less responsive when battery runs down
- Requires a strong e liquid (18mg or more) to produce a really strong throat hit)
- Small battery so only a few hours’ (3-5 hrs) vaping time between charges
- Soft tips get soggy if device is left on its side for extended periods
Uwell Caliburn G (Best for cigarette flavour)
- Great-tasting vapour to help you stop thinking about smoking
Uwell’s new Caliburn G is the perfect ready-to-go UK kit for light and regular smokers trying to quit cigarettes. It offers excellent flavour production, satisfying nicotine buzz and easy-to-use functions in a reliable, pocket-sized device.
Though the Caliburn G doesn’t look that much like a real cigarette, its strong flavours and smooth throat hits nevertheless do get you very close to the feel of smoking.
How this kit can help you quit
Rich, bold-tasting vapour re-stimulates taste buds to help you forget the taste of cigarettes.
Draw is also reassuringly tight, to give a realistic cigarette-like suction effect. Flipping and re-inserting the mouthpiece makes airflow looser or tighter. This function is perfect for recent quitters, who may want the option of getting suction and resistance closer to the feeling of smoking.
Nicotine buzz from the Caliburn G is noticeably strong, and especially with high PG nicotine salt liquids. I got a strong buzz and very smooth throat hit on this device using 12mg nicotine salt liquid at 75% PG. Using a good tobacco flavour liquid also makes a big difference.
- Excellent vapour flavour and variable draw resistance for quitters
- Smooth throat hit and strong nicotine buzz at 12mg 50/50 vg-pg (salts)
- Highly responsive button and suction activation
- 15 watts max output
- Dual airflow for more realistic cigarette draw
- Replaceable coils and 2ml refillable pods
Features in detail
With a weight of only 37g and length of 11cm, Uwell’s Caliburn G is compact and portable. It’s also light enough to hold in the hand like a cigarette which is reassuring for quitters.
That said, the more-than-adequate 690 mAh built-in battery power will give light and regular smokers at least 3 or 4 hours of vaping between charges.
You can activate vapour from the Caliburn G either by pressing the circular power button or else by sucking, for a more realistic smoking action. I found the suction activation option to be especially responsive, providing immediate streams of vapour with even the gentlest of sucks.
In this way, the Caliburn responds much more like a cigarette, which is a big bonus when you’re trying to quit smoking.
The Caliburn G takes replaceable coils, which makes it more versatile than many other smoker-friendly pod vape kits, which only take disposable pods. This means you only need to replace coils when they wear out, and you can refill pods with your own vape liquids.
You can use either 0.8 mesh coils or 1.0 coils in the Caliburn G. However, the 1.0 coils provide a much more realistic smoking experience for quitters in terms of nicotine buzz, resistance and flavour than the 0.8s.
Smok Stick G15 (Best for throat hit)
- Pen-style pod vape with powerful throat hit and reliable nicotine relief for light, regular or heavy smoker types
The Smok Stick G15 Pod Kit is another low-cost pod vape designed first-and-foremost as a quit-smoking device. Bigger than the EQ FLTR, the Smok Stick G15 has a bigger battery, which means more vaping time for heavier smokers who may need more puffs than usual.
Really great throat hit even with weaker e liquids, and a very satisfying vape to take your mind off smoking.
Why this kit is good for quitting smoking
- Streamlined, lightweight and very portable
- Impressive throat hit and near-instant nicotine relief, especially with nicotine salt e liquids (recommended)
- Extremely responsive to suction, so vapour is released with even very gentle sucks
- Medium to tight draw from round plastic mouthpiece included.
- Also takes EQ FLTR tips, which give a tighter draw
- Rechargeable and refillable
- Simple out-of-the-box set-up – all you need to do is fill with e liquid, assemble the two sections and vape
- Suction-activated vapour release
- Softer/subtler e liquid flavours don’t seem to shine as well as strong ones do
- No soft tips included in kit – only plastic hard tips
- Very strong e liquids (25mg+) can give less smooth hits
Best vapes to help heavy smokers quit smoking
Kits shown here are best for heavy smokers or those who vape more often. These devices have longer battery life and work exceptionally well with higher-strength vape liquids.
Jac Vapour S22 Mesh Kit (Best easy-to-use tank-mod vape)
- Durable and reliable UK-designed vape ideal for helping heavy smokers quit smoking
The Jac Vapour S22 Mesh Kit is a very reliable tank-mod combo and the best choice of vape device for heavy smokers trying to quit.
Designed in the UK by established vape supplier Jac Vapour, the S22 is a sturdy, durable and no-nonsense kit ideal for helping heavy smokers to stop smoking.
- hard-wearing design and solid build
- less chunky and more portable than a serious tank mod combo
- enough battery power for one day of vaping even for heavy smokers
- airflow and suction can be controlled with a simple twist
- top-fill feature means easy refilling
- wide choice of coil types and resistances
Benefits for heavy smokers
Somewhere between a vape pen and a tank mod combo, the solid-looking S22 Mesh Kit offers heavier smokers more power than a pod vape and more control over airflow.
This model gives smokers about a day of fairly heavy vaping between charges, which is ideal. Draw tightness is easy to adjust to match realistic cigarette suction. The kit also allows more choice in terms of available coil types and coil resistances. Meanwhile, the S22’s fixed power feature means no buttons or controls to distract you from quitting.
For really heavy smokers, I’d recommend you screw in the (supplied) 1.0 MTL coil and vape the S22 with a 20mg strength tobacco nic salt e liquid.
Features in detail
Nicotine hits out of the S22 Mesh are strong with the right coil and liquid combination. MTL 1.0 S-coils can tolerate 50/50 VG/PG e-liquids but give smokers richer, more powerful hits with thinner liquids.
This kit comprises a 2ml top-filling tank unit and 2900 mAh rechargeable battery unit. MTL coils (mesh or non-mesh) are replaceable and easy to fit, even for smokers new to vaping.
The S22 Mesh Kit is also extremely durable and hard-wearing and will resist all but the most severe bumps and scratches.
Finally, quitters wanting to adjust suction resistance can benefit from the simple-to-use airflow spinner at the base of the tank. This switches airflow smoothly from wide open to almost closed, the recommended vape setting for a stronger, more cigarette-like draw for heavier smokers. Note there is a discount available with this product.
Innokin Kroma-R Zlide (Best adjustable tank-mod vape)
- Reliable adjustable mini vape tank combo for heavy smokers trying to stop smoking
The Zlide offers up to 80 watts of power and highly-responsive vaping with scope for adjustments and customisation. Realistic smoking feel and excellent vapour production and flavour.
Benefits for heavy smokers
With its 18650 rechargeable battery, the Kroma-R Zlide is a real powerhouse, allowing at least a day of vaping for even the heaviest of smokers.
- Manual draw activation (power button)
- Near-instant responsiveness (0.003 seconds)
- Excellent airflow control to give a heavier draw
- Three-stage vapour taste mode feature to help smokers fine-tune flavours
- More battery power so longer vape sessions for heavy smokers
- Compatible with Zenith-type MTL coils
- Pocket-sized but sturdy, hard wearing appearance
Features in detail
Alongside simple-to-use up-down VV/VW power controls, the vape mod unit also offers more demanding smokers a useful “taste modes” display feature. This lets you crank up from soft and normal to boost settings for deeper, richer flavours in a couple of clicks.
The Zlide-R’s 2ml refillable tank is well-suited to mouth-to-lung (cigarette-style) vaping. The larger viewport makes e-liquid levels easy to monitor, while the adjustable airflow feature fine-tunes draw resistance. These features are perfect for more persistent smokers, who generally get through more e-liquid and prefer a tighter, richer vape.
Heavier smokers will find the 1.2 ohm coil included gives a much tighter draw and richer vapour than the 0.8ohm version. However, for optimum vape performance, Innokin 1.0ohm Z-coils (separate purchase) offer smokers heavier draws and more satisfying nicotine hits.
My recommended set-up for this vape kit for heavy smokers is at 14 watts power with restricted airflow. The “normal” taste mode will also give out strong hits using a 12mg nic salt high-PG tobacco e-liquid.
Alternatively, dropping wattage to 10 watts with 18mg liquid gives out smoother, cooler vapour. This set-up is strong enough to satisfy more frequent smokers.
Innokin Coolfire Z50 (Best reliable vape tank)
- Reliable vape kit to help heavy or regular smokers quit smoking
The Coolfire Z50 Zlide is a small but powerful MTL mini vape combo, ideal for regular to heavy cigarette users wanting to quit smoking.
Benefits for heavy smokers
A two-part 50W mod-tank combo with 2100mAh output, the Z50 is a reliable companion for heavier smokers who want longer, more intense vape sessions in less-complicated device.
The benefit of variable power settings gives you more control over vapour flavour and strength. This allows you more options to make vapour stronger, and give you a more noticeable throat hit.
With the right set-up, the Z50 offers stronger flavours and more powerful nicotine hits. And for heavier smokers, this makes you more likely to stay on track with vaping in the longer term.
UK price and where to buy
UK prices for the Innokin Coolfire Z50 start at £37.99 (from New Vaping). Other suppliers of this kit include Vape Club, Vapestore and Vape UK, though prices are higher.
Features in detail
Its slightly smaller 2100mAh power unit is built-in, meaning no batteries to remove for recharging. Likewise, the display is also simple, showing only voltage and wattage power settings.
The Coolfire Z50 comes with a Zlide tank with 2ml liquid capacity, which gives smokers at least 4-5 hours of heavy vaping between refills.
The tank is also compatible with replaceable 0.8 and 1.2 ohm Innokin Z-Coils. One of each of these coils comes with the kit.
For regular smokers, either of these coil resistances will work fine. However, heavier smokers and very recent quitters may find the 1.2 ohm version gives stronger hits.
If you’re a heavy or everyday smoker looking for a substantial but user-friendly device that gives you more power than a pod, the Coolfire Z50 is the perfect quit kit for you.
- pocket-sized mini-mod tank
- 4-5 hours vaping with every refill
- 2100 mAh built-in power so longer vaping for heavy users
- simple controls so easier for recent quitters to use than many other mod combos
- choice of 0.8 and 1.2 ohm replaceable Z-coils
Best vapes to help light smokers quit smoking
All vape kits here are ideal for light smokers (less than 10 a day). Each device shown will run well with low-strength refills or vape liquids and each provides enough battery life to give around a day’s vaping with moderate use.
EPuffer XPOD (Best easy-to-use pod vape)
- Best basic pod vape for light smokers trying to quit smoking
EPuffer is one of the few remaining UK vape suppliers that still focuses primarily on smokers as their main target customer.
Their own in-house XPOD vape pod is the perfect option for light or occasional smokers who want a lightweight, no-nonsense device that feels like a cigarette with a minimum of fuss. Super easy to use and next to no set up.
- very easy set-up and zero maintenance – just refill and go
- very lightweight so feels more like a cigarette in your hand
- fast recharging (45 mins)
- very small and light enough to hold comfortably
- strong hits and flavours so ideal for quitting smoking
- nearly a day’s worth of moderate vaping with every pod/charge
- choice of refillable or pre-filled pods + 3 refillables included in kit
Benefits for light smokers
This MTL vape pod comes with built-in 375 mAh power, and will fully recharge in around 45 minutes to give light smokers almost a day of moderate vaping.
Features in detail
With no real setting up to do, and no worrying about small parts, quitters can vape and recharge the XPOD whenever and wherever they like. It gives out a very cool and satisfying vapour, and 2mg pods provide fast and noticeable relief from cigarette cravings.
The device can be assembled in seconds thanks to snap-on 1.5ml magnetic pods which drop snugly into place with a single action. Recharging is also simple. You just attach one end of the USB supplied to your device and the other into your laptop, car or wall socket adapter.
EPuffer supply both refillable and pre-filled pods for the XPOD. The refillable pods work out much cheaper for quitters in the longer term and are easy enough to refill.
However, I’d recommend those buying the XPOD as a first device go for the pre-filled (disposable) pods at first, just for simplicity. These work out at about £3 each and give light smokers about 300 puffs per pod.
Uppends Uppen (Best pen-style pod vape)
- a lightweight vape pen for light smokers
The Uppends Uppen is a refillable, rechargeable vape pen ideally recommended for regular and light smokers trying to quit cigarettes. The Uppen gives you simple features and comfortable vaping in a pen-shaped device.
The Uppen’s shape and weight means it feels a bit more like a real cigarette, and nicotine buzz is also very good with the right e liquid.
Meanwhile, a spit-back-protected mesh coil system and smoker-friendly antibacterial mouthpiece make for safer vaping.
- Pod-style vape feel in a larger vape pen design
- Extremely easy for recent quitters to set up and use
- Comfortable, anti-bacterial mouthpiece
- Refillable spit-back protected 1.2 ohm mesh coil pods
- Rechargeable 600 mAh battery so enough charge for day-long vaping for lighter smokers
- Smooth strong and satisfying vapour with right e-liquid set up
Benefits for light smokers
The Uppen vape pen is very light and comfortable enough for smokers to hold. Though gentle, vapour quality is excellent, and nicotine hit is strong enough to satisfy moderate cigarette cravings.
Features in detail
Initial set-up is very easy as you only need to drop the 2ml magnetic pods into place into the 600mAh rechargeable power unit to start vaping. With its snap-on pods, the Uppen works more like a basic pod vape rather than a vape pen, and vapes much like a pod too.
The Uppen’s slightly looser draw is well-matched to needs of lighter smokers. But vapour and nicotine hits are still smooth and strong enough to satisfy regular smokers using 12 mg e-liquids and above. My recommended e-liquid match for light smokers with this vape pen is 8-10 mg, with 12-18 mg for regular tobacco users.
Apart from its excellent vapour production, for me, the Uppen’s main attraction for smokers is its mouthpiece. This is small and comfortable, and has a nozzle that concentrates vapour onto the tongue for a more realistic cigarette-smoking experience.
Vaporesso Osmall (Best value)
- Best value vape pod for light smokers
The Vaporesso Osmall is a very affordable, lightweight pod vape device that’s the perfect vape for occasional or light smokers. With fantastic flavour and reliable nicotine hits, the 11w Osmall is a super-lightweight refillable that packs a punch.
- 2ml capacity
- highly-responsive suction-operated draw
- no need to adjust power
- small, lightweight and portable
- comfortable wide mouthpiece
- 40 mins to recharge
- reliable nicotine satisfaction
- looser draw ideal for light smokers
Benefits for light smokers
Pods with this kit have 2ml capacity, which is enough to give lighter smokers around a day of moderate vaping.
Draw resistance is a little looser than with some pod vape systems, though this is ideal for light smokers who usually prefer softer suction.
The Osmall Pod comes with handy refillable pods, fitted with a 1.2ohm coil to gives out around 11 watts of power per puff. Pods are side-refillable, with fill ports that are easy enough to refill quickly. For light smokers, I’d recommend a 12mg high-PG vape liquid for best results with the Osmall.
The Osmall’s modest 350mAh battery size will give you around three hours of regular vaping between charges. But very light or occasional smokers who just want the odd puff to kill cravings should be able to get by on just one recharge per day.
Which kinds of vape kit are best for heavy and light smokers?
With so many different kinds of vape kits on the market, it’s often hard for heavy or light smokers to know which one is best for them.
On the whole, pod vape systems and vape pens are the most suitable choice for light and regular smokers, whereas larger tank-mod systems tend to be better for heavier smokers.
Light and regular smokers
Pod vapes (Juul, etc) are currently the best all-round option for light and regular smokers trying to quit smoking. This is because they tend to provide only enough battery life for light or occasional vaping between charges. They also usually produce a cooler, softer vapour, which is preferable lighter smokers.
Pod vapes are also cheap to buy, quick to recharge, easy to refill and use, light and very portable. More specifically, pod vapes are designed to produce reliable nicotine hits and satisfying flavours. All of these features make them the most popular first-vape option for both light and regular smokers.
Vape pens are also a suitable choice of kit for lighter smokers as (like pod vapes), they offer a smoother vape and have just enough power to get you through the day.
Tanks or mod-tank combos are generally the best choice of vape for heavy smokers, though some pod vapes, pens and “all-in-ones” are also suitable. Heavy smokers tend to vape more often and take longer, deeper sucks while vaping. This means they need devices with better battery life and coil durability.
Best “quit smoking” vape kit features to look for:
Having a basic understanding of smoker-friendly vape device features can save you making expensive mistakes. It will also help you end up with a vape kit that actually satisfies your cigarette cravings.
Smokers should look for lightweight, simple-to-use, low-power mouth-to-lung (MTL) devices when choosing a vape kit. Devices that take disposable pre-filled e liquid pods or vape cartridges are also recommended. It is also worthwhile checking before you buy that your device will recharge quickly enough.
Here are a few pointers to help you find the ideal vape to match your needs as a smoker wanting to quit:
- Tight draw (or suction) features give you a more realistic cigarette feel, which you’ll need if you’re a smoker trying vaping for the first time – most MTL coils will give you a tighter draw, though some are looser than others
- A narrow mouthpiece on your vape pen, tank or pod will feel more like a cigarette filter and will make vapour taste stronger by giving you a more focused stream of vapour
- Mouth-to-lung coils ensure sufficient flavour and nicotine strength at low power to provide more satisfaction for those quitting smoking – some models come with pre-installed coils, though others don’t
- Nicotine salts compatibility means your device can work with nic salt vape liquids without clogging up – luckily, most MTL devices run on nic salts as standard, though it’s still worth checking
- Easy-to-use features make using your vape a doddle from the outset – this means looking for a vape device with minimal power options (or preferably none at all), and one that’s easy and quick to recharge and refill at any time
Other useful vape kit features for smokers
While not essential, these additional features can
Disposable pre-filled pods and cartridges make the transition from smoking to vaping easier for you to adjust to because you don’t have to refill, clean or empty anything. Smoker-friendly vape devices should give you more flexibility in this respect. Yes, refillable tanks are more flexible and allow you more choice, but quitters just need ease of use.
However, if you do end up going down the refillables route, top-fill or side-filling tanks and pods are the ones to go for. Again, these make life simpler and less messy by allowing you to refill your device quickly and simply. How many smokers want the hassle of having to take their whole tank apart just to refill it?
Low power (max 30-50 watt) vape devices are the best choice for even for heavy smokers as they are designed to produce a cooler, smoother throat hit. They also produce a noticeable nicotine “buzz” and longer-lasting vapour.
Coils (ranging from 1.0ohm -1.6 ohm) for smokers generally work most effectively at low to medium power (10-20 watts). That’s why MTL-compatible devices with maximum battery output above 50 watts are simply unnecessary for smokers.
Portability is often overlooked by smokers choosing their first vape device. Ideally, your first vape pen, pod or combo should be small and light enough enough to carry around in a pocket or handbag. If your vape device is uncomfortable to carry or use when you quit smoking, you may stop using it and end up going back to cigarettes.
Fast recharging makes the switch to vaping more convenient for smokers giving up because it obviously saves you time. Ideally, smoker-friendly vape devices should only have you waiting for around 60 minutes between charges. In this way, you won’t have to wait till hell freezes over before you can vape again.
Reliability is a final crucial feature to look for if you’re a smoker in search of your first vape kit or device. Given the ease of going back to smoking, finding a vape that won’t let you down is key to sticking with vaping. This means choosing reliable devices designed just for smokers. But you should also buy from trusted vape suppliers that can offer full product guarantees, warranties and certificates.
Frequently asked questions about vape kits to help smokers quit smoking
Which vape device features are most suitable for a heavy smoker?
Above all, heavy smokers should choose vape devices with enough battery lifetime (10 hours+ ideally) to deal with continuous or frequent use. Mod-tanks, vape pens and “all-in-one” pod vape kits combine long battery life with MTL compatibility and all are ideal in this respect. Strong flavour and reliable nicotine satisfaction are also key must-have qualities in vapes for heavier smokers.
What is the best vape liquid for smokers when starting vaping?
Firstly, smokers should go for thinner e-liquids, with high PG ratios (e.g. 25 VG to 75 PG) as these tend to give out more flavour and strength. Smokers coming to vaping should also give nicotine salts a try, as these are a lot smoother than regular e-liquids. Finally, choosing a strong enough liquid (12-18mg) is a good idea, as is picking a flavour that’s rich and distinctive enough to keep you vaping.
How do I clean my vape pen, tank or pod?
Vape juice (or e-liquid) is fully water-soluble. This means any gunk that collects in your vape pen, pod or tank can be washed away easily with hot water. You can use an old toothbrush to clean hard-to-get parts (if you have a tank), though any dirt should come away easily. Just remember to drip-dry your device for a few minutes before you use it again.